Virtualbox 4.3 has been released few days ago with many great new features and performance improvements. Now remotebox 1.6 adds support for Virtualbox 4.3.x. Here’s how to install it on Ubuntu & Linux Mint.
As you may know, RemoteBox is an open source VirtualBox Client with Remote Management feature. It allows you to administer an installation of VirtualBox residing on another machine such as a server, as if it was installed locally. You can also interact with the displays of the guests. This allows you to treat VirtualBox much more like an installation of Xen, KVM or VMware ESX. A summary of some of the features of RemoteBox are listed below.
What’s New in RemoteBox 1.6:
- This version brings VirtualBox 4.3.x support and drops support for the VirtualBox 4.2.x branch
- Rebased from GTK 2.22 to GTK 2.24 as a minimum requirement
- Default rdesktop preference now enables guest sound support and clipboard sharing.
- rdesktop -r sound:local -r clipboard:PRIMARYCLIPBOARD -T “%n – RemoteBox” %h:%p
- Added preference to automatically add the VBoxAdditions.iso to the Virtual Media Manager when connecting to a server.
- Added USB Multi-Touch pointing device support
- Added RemoteBox preference to set the default RDP Port range for new guests
- Added Discard Saved State toolbutton and menu option
- Added Clear Connection History menu item to the File menu
- Added configuration evaulation option to the tools menu of the edit settings dialog. It evaluates the current guest settings and makes recommendations.
- Added support for attaching SCSI and SAS CD/DVDs to guests
- Added auto-hint resolution option to preferences
- Refreshed guest operating system icons
- Now sets the default RDP port range for new guests created with RemoteBox to 3389-4389, instead of a random port. This makes firewall configuration easier and VirtualBox will automatically use the next free port to avoid conflicts
- Fixed exception when reading an empty or non-existant guest log
- Fixed double-line spacing when showing huest logs from Windows servers
- Fixed a bug when releasing DVD or Floppy media from the VMM. It no longer removes the virtual floppy or dvd drive, but just ejects the floppy or dvd image.
- Fixed several bugs when editing the host-only networks – some outdated API calls were being used which generated an exception
- Fixed some path handling bugs affecting Windows
- Moved hardware virtualization exlusive option from guest settings to the VirtualBox preferences as it’s now a global option in VirtualBox
- Dropped WinMM audio. Guests using this will automatically be mapped to the Null audio driver and can’t be manually changed to DirectSound if required
- Various GUI tweaks and code optimisations
Install RemoteBox 1.6:
First press Ctrl+Alt+T on your keyboard to open terminal. When it opens, run command to install the requirements:
sudo apt-get install libgtk2-perl libsoap-lite-perl rdesktop
Then download the package from the link below:
Uncompress the package from your file browser.
Finally run remotebox executable to launch it:
cd ~/Downloads/RemoteBox-1.6/ && ./remotebox
This should work on all Linux distributions, include Ubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.04, Ubuntu 12.04, Linux Mint 13/14/15/16, Elemantary OS and others.
To create a launcher for RemoteBox, see this post. In command area type in