KDE Connect has officially reached the first stable 1.0 release after a year of development. And now it’s made into Kubuntu Backports Landing PPA.
KDE Connect is a project that aims to communicate all your devices. For example, with KDE Connect you can receive your phone notifications on your computer, or just use your phone as a remote control for your desktop.
New features in KDEConnect 1.0:
- Trigger custom commands from your phone
- Reply to SMS messages from your desktop
- Receive desktop notifications on your phone
- TLS encryption
For more details, read the official announcement.
How to install KDE Connect 1.0 in Ubuntu 16.04:
Kubuntu Backports Landing PPA is a test repository for packages that will land in KUbuntu Backports PPA.
2. For a stable system, please wait the packages to be landed in KUbuntu Backports PPA.
1. Open terminal and add the PPA
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports-landing
2. This build uses the old packaging, you need to remove the old
kdeconnect-plasma package before installing the new release:
sudo apt remove kdeconnect-plasma
3. Update and install KDEConnect 1.0:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install kdeconnect
And also install the latest KDE Connect in Android device from Google Play.
Undo / Restore the changes:
To downgrade installed packages and libraries from that repository, run command the purge the PPA:
sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports-landing
In addition, the maintainer offers a separate PPA with KDEConnect 1.0 packages for Ubuntu 16.10, and Ubuntu 16.04. However, the 16.04 build requires Qt5 core libraries >= 5.6.0.