Opera web browser 56 stable was released today multitask improvements and more customizable browsing experience.
Opera 56 release highlights:
- Add volume control for video pop out.
- Hover over the title of pop out video and click back to tab.
- Add new option in Settings > Advanced > Browser > User interface for the scroll to the top of the page feature
- Add a page zoom indicator in the address and search bar when the zoom level for a page changed.
- Easy bug reporting via O menu > Help > Report an issue.
- Redesigned about page, and tidied up the settings.
How to Install Opera 56 in Ubuntu:
The Opera team offers snap package (containerised software package), which is always up-to-date (auto-updates itself). And you can simply install it in Ubuntu Software:
Also traditional Opera binary package for Ubuntu is available for download at the link below:
To receive future updates through Software Updater, add the official Opera apt repository via following steps:
1. Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run command to add the opera repository:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://deb.opera.com/opera-stable/ stable non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list'
2. Get the key:
wget -O - http://deb.opera.com/archive.key | sudo apt-key add -
Finally either install Opera via following command or upgrade the browser via Software Updater:
sudo apt update sudo apt install opera-stable
For the Opera snap package, simply remove it from Ubuntu Software.
For the Opera apt repository, launch Software & Updates and navigate to Other Software tab.
To remove traditional opera package, either use your system package manager or run command in terminal:
sudo apt remove --autoremove opera-stable