Oracle announced the new major Virtualbox 6.1.0 a few days ago with many great new features.
Virtualbox 6.1.0 includes following changes:
- Implemented support for importing VM from Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.
- Extended support for exporting VM to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- Support for nested hardware-virtualization on Intel CPUs
- Completely removed old style 3D support (with VBoxVGA).
- Implemented experimental support for file transfers
- Support for horizontal scrolling in the PS/2 mouse device.
- vboximg-mount available on Linux host.
- accelerate video playback on Linux, macOS.
- Experimental support for VirtIO SCSI, to increase performance and improve scalability
- Suport for Linux 5.4
- GUI and many other improvements.
For more details, see the changelog.
How to Install Virtualbox 6.1 in Ubuntu:
For Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 19.04, Ubuntu 19.10, and their derivatives, you can either download the official .deb binary from the link below:
or install VBox from its official apt repository by running following steps:
1. Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T), paste below command and run to add the repository:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian $(lsb_release -sc) contrib" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list'
For Linux Mint, you HAVE to replace
$(lsb_release -sc) in the command with
bionic for Mint 19.x, or
xenial for Mint 18.x.
2. Then download and install the repository key via command:
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
3. Refresh system package cache via command:
sudo apt update
4. Finally install Virtualbox 6.1:
sudo apt install virtualbox-6.1
To remove it, simply run command in terminal:
sudo apt remove --autoremove virtualbox-6.1
And go to Software & Updates -> Other Software to remove apt repositories.