It’s easy to install Google Earth in a 32-bit Ubuntu machine. But 64-bit Ubuntu fails to install the official package due to the package dependencies ia32-libs is not available since Ubuntu 14.04.
A work-around is to install the 32-bit package in 64-bit Ubuntu and resolve the package dependencies manually.
Install Google Earth 7 in Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit:
1. First download the “32 bit .deb (For Debian/Ubuntu)” package from the earth.google.com:
2. During the downloading process, press Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard to open the terminal. When it opens, paste the command below and hit run to install required libraries (thanks to webupd8):
sudo apt-get install libfontconfig1:i386 libx11-6:i386 libxrender1:i386 libxext6:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libglib2.0-0:i386 libsm6:i386
Type in your user password when it asks, note that there’s no visual feed back.
3. Now install the downloaded package via Software Center, Gdebi, or by running below command in terminal:
sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/google-earth-stable_current_i386.deb; sudo apt-get -f install
When done, start Google Earth from Unity dash or application menu and enjoy!
Install Google Earth 6 in Ubuntu 14.10:
If for some reason you want to install the old Google Earth 6 in Ubuntu (both 32-bit and 64-bit). Follow the steps below:
1. First click the link below to install the package
googleearth-package, a utility to automatically build a debian package of Google Earth:
[ac-button size=”large” color=”blue” url=”apt://googleearth-package”]Click Install googleearth-package[/ac-button]
2. Once installed, press Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard to open terminal. When it opens, run the command below to run the utility:
The utility will automatically download the Google Earth 6 package from its official website and generate a .deb package installer from it.
3. Once the utility finished, you can see the new .deb package in your user home folder and install it via Ubuntu Software Center. Or run below command instead:
sudo dpkg -i googleearth_*.deb; sudo apt-get -f install
(Optional) To uninstall Google Earth 6 or 7 run command:
sudo dpkg -r googleearth google-earth-stable