Last updated on July 28th, 2015
KDE Plasma 5.2 has been announced today with a number of new components, new features and many more bug-fixes.
According to the release note, the new release comes with below new components:
- BlueDevil to manage Bluetooth devices.
- KSSHAskPass, a graphical UI to enter SSH keys’ passwords.
- Muon: install and manage software and other addons for your computer.
- Login theme configuration (SDDM)
- KScreen, a System Settings module to set up multiple monitor support.
- GTK Application Style, configure themeing of applications from Gnome.
- KDecoration: this new library to make themes for KWin, Plasma’s window manager.
Also there are many other highlights in the KDE Plasma 5.2, such as:
- Undo changes to Plasma desktop layout
- press Alt-space to easily search through your computer
- Breeze window decoration theme is now used by default.
- New plasma widgets: 15 puzzle, web browser, show desktop
- Various improvements and over 300 bug-fixes.
Fore more details, go to KDE.org.
How to Install / Upgrade to KDE Plasma 5.2 in Ubuntu:
For (K)Ubuntu 14.10 and derivatives users, the latest packages are available for install / upgrade at the Kubuntu Next Backports PPA.
Just open a terminal window, and run below commands one by one to add the PPA, update package cache and install or upgrade KDE:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/next-backports sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop plasma-workspace plasma-workspace-wallpapers sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
That’s it. Enjoy!