KDE Plasma 5.2 has been announced today with a number of new components, new features and many more bug-fixes.
According to the release note, the new release comes with below new components:
- BlueDevil to manage Bluetooth devices.
- KSSHAskPass, a graphical UI to enter SSH keys’ passwords.
- Muon: install and manage software and other addons for your computer.
- Login theme configuration (SDDM)
- KScreen, a System Settings module to set up multiple monitor support.
- GTK Application Style, configure themeing of applications from Gnome.
- KDecoration: this new library to make themes for KWin, Plasma’s window manager.
Also there are many other highlights in the KDE Plasma 5.2, such as:
- Undo changes to Plasma desktop layout
- press Alt-space to easily search through your computer
- Breeze window decoration theme is now used by default.
- New plasma widgets: 15 puzzle, web browser, show desktop
- Various improvements and over 300 bug-fixes.
Fore more details, go to KDE.org.
How to Install / Upgrade to KDE Plasma 5.2 in Ubuntu:
For (K)Ubuntu 14.10 and derivatives users, the latest packages are available for install / upgrade at the Kubuntu Next Backports PPA.
Just open a terminal window, and run below commands one by one to add the PPA, update package cache and install or upgrade KDE:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/next-backports sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop plasma-workspace plasma-workspace-wallpapers sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
That’s it. Enjoy!
The kubuntu-plasma5-desktop package doesn’t seem to exist for me.
The package name now is plasma-desktop.
no kubuntu-plasma5-desktop package :(
Upgraded to 5.2 but went back to Ubuntu Gnome. Plasma 5.2 is far from stable!
* File-manager is very unstable when viewing / opening / editing files on a NAS station.
The file manager keeps crashing when enabling / disabling the preview mode. Sometimes i cannot connect to the station. Requires a reboot.
* The ‘hot corner’ feature is very buggy. It works, or it doesn’t work. Sometimes nothing happens and after a restart it works again.
* The desktop is toasting my Nvidia Graphics card. Temperature often gets to 60 degrees Celsius, while in Ubuntu it keeps at around 33. Not sure whats going on here.
* And a lot more issues…!
I agree with Danny!
The new Plasma 5 desktop isn ‘t stable enough and brings a lot of problems. Do not upgrade if you need a well working system. In my case (Kubuntu 14.10) the (next) booting process stopped with Plasma 5 after running the filemanager (dolphin) as root. No chance to run the x-server. Perhaps it is a problem with Nvidia Graphics cards. So I had to cancel the system and return to Plasma 4…. I hope that the KDE People fixed these heavy bugs in the next versions.
@Wolfgang ,,,,,,,, you do not run dolpin as root (it is shure to hijack the ownership/permitions of your files and posablie ~/.Xauthority as well , and you will be locked out of your login.
if you must run as root use “kdesudo dolphin” and not just sudo or starting from a root shell .
After I update Kubuntu 14.10 ( kubuntu-devel-release-upgrade ) to 15.04 through run command, and then, I got some problems arised :-
1) update manager not opened
2) kubuntu-devel-release-upgrade did not working in run command
3) USB Modem device not detecting
4) Not installing softwares through software center
Please rectify the corrections for further KDE Plasma new version ( Include Media support, with beautiful look )
se der erro no plasma-workspace plasma-workspace-wallpapers e só apagar essa parte do código que ele instala
Comments are closed.