Darktable 2.2, a new stable series of the open-source photo workflow software, was finally announced on Christmas Eve.
After 3 release candidates, Darktable 2.2 stable was finally released with over 2k commits since 2.0.0. Also 298 pull requests and 360+ issues have been handled/closed in the new release.
Darktable 2.2 New Features:
- Add new automatic perspective correction module
- Liquify tool for all your fancy pixel moving
- A new image module to use a Color Look Up Table (CLUT) to change colors in the image
- In Highlight reconstruction module, the mode LCh reconstruction was completely rewritten, and is no longer useless!
- A new tool, darktable-chart, that goes along with the CLUT module, to create styles for the latter
- Exposure fusion in the basecurve module to lower the dynamic range of images
- Add new raw overexposure indication
- Darkroom: the preview (in top-left corner) is now no longer pre-demosaiced (but just downscaled without demosaicing it at the same time), thus the preview, color picker, histogram show the proper results, especially when there is highlight clipping.
Read the announcement for more details. And see the video below:
How to Install Darktable 2.2 in Ubuntu 16.04 and/or Ubuntu 16.10:
The new release has been made into PPA, available for Ubuntu 16.04, 16.10, and Linux Mint 18. Follow the steps below to add the PPA and install / upgrade it:
1. Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run the command below to add the PPA repository:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pmjdebruijn/darktable-release
Type in your password (no visual feedback) when it asks and hit Enter.
2. For those who have a previous release installed, launch Software Updater (or update manager for mint) and upgrade Darktable after checking for updates.
Or just run commands below in terminal to install or upgrade to Darktable 2.2:
sudo apt update sudo apt install darktable
For any reason you can restore the Darktable installation to the stock version in Ubuntu main archive by purging the PPA via:
sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:pmjdebruijn/darktable-release