Oracle announced new major Virtualbox 6.0.0 a few days ago with many new features and various bug-fixes.
Virtualbox 6.0 release highlights:
- Implemented support for exporting virtual machine to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- Greatly improved HiDPI and scaling support
- Rework of user interface
- A new file manager enabling user to control the guest file system and copy files between host and guest.
- Major update of 3D graphics support for Windows guests, and VMSVGA 3D graphics device emulation on Linux
- Added support for surround speaker setups
- Added utility vboximg-mount on Apple hosts
- Added support for using Hyper-V as the fallback execution core on Windows host
- Support for Linux 4.20.
How to Install Virtualbox 6.0 in Ubuntu:
For all current Ubuntu releases, you can either download the official .deb binary from the link below:
[ac-button style=”flat” color=”tan” url=”https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads” target=”_blank”]Download Virtualbox for Linux[/ac-button]
or install VBox from its official apt repository:
1. Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T), paste below command and run to add the repository:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian $(lsb_release -sc) contrib" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list'
For Linux Mint, you HAVE to replace
$(lsb_release -sc) in the command with
bionic for Mint 19.x, or
xenial for Mint 18.x.
2. Then download and install the repository key via command:
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
3. Refresh system package cache via command:
sudo apt update
4. Finally install Virtualbox 6.0:
sudo apt install virtualbox-6.0
To remove it, simply run command in terminal:
sudo apt remove --autoremove virtualbox-6.0
And go to Software & Updates -> Other Software to remove apt repositories.