Last updated on September 29th, 2017
The Ubuntu Team has announced the first beta release of Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak, feathers images for Lubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME, Ubuntu Kylin, Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu Studio.
This pre-release includes the v4.4 kernel, LibreOffice 5.2, and a number of software updates that are ready for wider testing. These images are still under development, so you should expect some bugs.
Ubuntu 16.10 Beta 1 Release Highlights:
Lubuntu still uses LXDE since LXQT is still in development.
Ubuntu GNOME 16.10:
- includes GNOME 3.20
- Select apps have been updated to their GNOME 3.22 Beta 1 (3.21.90) versions.
- GTK 3 version of LibreOffice 5.2 by default.
- GNOME’s Initial Setup utility is included and enabled.
- Empathy is no longer installed by default for new installs.
- The new Characters character map utility is installed by default.
- The experimental wayland session is included.
Ubuntu Kylin 16.04 fixed many internationalization and localization bugs.
Ubuntu MATE 16.10:
- Migrated to GTK 3.20
- Updated to MATE Dock Applet 0.74
- Updated many MATE packages for improved GTK 3.20 support
- Removed MATE Heads-Up Display (HUD)
Ubuntu Studio 16.04 included dgedit, drumgizmo, gpick, calibre, pdf-shuffler, plume-creator. Replaced recordmydesktop with vokoscreen, and gnome-color-manager with dispcalgui. Also an updated list of packages included.
Future releases for Ubuntu 16.10:
|September 22nd||Final Beta|
|October 6th||Final Freeze, Release Candicate|
|October 13th||Final release of Ubuntu 16.10|