Last updated on September 11th, 2019
RawTherapee, an open-source cross-platform raw image processing program, reached the 5.3 release a few days ago with new features, performance improvements and numerous bug-fixes.
RawTherapee 5.3 release highlights:
- CIECAM02 enhanced with control over the scene and viewing conditions.
- CIECAM02-friendly “Average Surround” color theme and L* middle gray preview background color, takes into account human vision and color appearance with regard to the surrounding color.
- Manually save the collapsed/expanded state of tools.
- Lensfun support, for automatic (and manual) profiled lens correction.
- ACES, DCI-P3 Theater and DCI-P3 D65 output color profiles.
- Numerous speed optimizations and bug fixes.
How to Install RawTherapee 5.3 in Ubuntu:
Dariusz Duma’s PPA contains the latest RawTherapee packages for Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 17.04, Ubuntu 17.10, and their derivatives.
1. Open terminal either via Ctrl+Alt+T or by searching for “Terminal” from app launcher. When it opens, run command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dhor/myway
Input your password (no visual feedback when typing) when it prompts and hit Enter to add the PPA.
2. After that, upgrade the software via Software Updater from an existing release:
The upgrading process may be kept back if you were installing it from Ubuntu Software App.
A workaround is simply running following commands instead to install or upgrade RawTherapee:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install rawtherapee
How to Remove:
To uninstall the free raw developer, run command in terminal:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove rawtherapee
And remove the PPA via “Software & Updates” utility under Other Software tab, by removing the line says “http://ppa.launchpad.net/dhor/myway/ubuntu”.