YakYak, an open-source desktop chat client for Google Hangouts, now can be easily installed in Ubuntu via Snap package.
- Send/receive chat messages
- Create/change conversations (rename, add people)
- Leave/delete conversation
- Notifications (using native OS notifications)
- Drag-drop, copy-paste or attach-button for image upload.
- Hangupsbot sync room aware (no bot name, proper user pics)
- Show inline images
- Send presence/focus/typing/activeclient to behave like a proper client
- History scrollback
- Video/audio integration (open in chrome)
- Focus/typing indications (mainly a design issue. keep it clean)
- Offer alternative color schemes
YakYak now is available as Snap, simply search for and install ‘yakyak’ in Ubuntu Software (need login with Ubuntu One account).
Or open terminal via Ctrl+Alt+T and run command instead to install the snap:
sudo snap install yakyak
Input your password (no visual feedback while typing) when it prompts and hit Enter.
To remove the software, either use Ubuntu Software or run command:
sudo snap remove yakyak