The open-source flight simulator FlightGear 2018.1 now is available for download.
Changes in FlightGear 2018.1 “Honolulu” include:
- Improved “Classic theme” with better fonts and colours
- Canvas MapStructure support for SlippyMaps, including VFRCharts, STAMEN,
- Various improvements to the Launcher
- Atmospheric Light Scattering renderer: extra volumetric vegetation layers for denser undergrowth
- Active Volcanos, including Kilauea, Stromboli, Etna,
- CH Products Throttle Quadrant supported out-of-the-box.
- Improved support for add-ons
- And many other changes
Download / Install FlightGear 2018.1:
Source tarball, Windows and Mac OS packages are available for download at the link below:
[ac-button size=”medium” style=”flat” url=”https://sourceforge.net/projects/flightgear/files/” target=”_blank”]Download FlightGear[/ac-button]
For Ubuntu Linux, there’s a PPA repository (check the link before doing following steps) and the new release packages should be available in few days.
1. To add the PPA repository, open terminal either via Ctrl+Alt+T or by searching for ‘terminal’ from app launcher. When it opens, run command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:saiarcot895/flightgear
Input your password (no visual feedback while typing due to security reason) and hit Enter.
2. Then you can upgrade FlightGear via Software Updater (may not work on Ubuntu 16.04 due to version system change) once it’s published in the PPA repository.
Or install it for the first time via commands:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install flightgear
To uninstall FlightGear, simply run following command in terminal:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove flightgear
And remove the PPA by launching “Software & Updates” utility and navigating to Other Software tab.