Visual Studio Code released version 1.29 recently with a number of significant updates.
VS Code 1.28 release highlights according to the announcement:
- Multiline search – Search across files with regex multiline expressions.
- File icons in IntelliSense – Quickly distinguish file types in IntelliSense.
- Better macOS support – Full screen mode control and Mojave Dark Mode support.
- Collapsible stack frames – Collapse uninteresting stack frames to clearly see your code.
- Improved Loaded Scripts view – Displays related resources such as original source files.
- Updated extension samples – Uniform style and structure, README, and API usage.
- CI recipe for extensions – Azure Pipelines build recipe for extensions.
- Preview: List All References – List All References view shows reference search results.
How to Install VS Code 1.29 in Ubuntu:
The easiest way is to install the community maintained Snap (run in sandbox) package from Ubuntu Software:
You can also install the official .deb package which is available for download at the link below:
[ac-button url=”https://code.visualstudio.com/Download” target=”_blank”]Download VS Code (.deb)[/ac-button]
Grab the deb and install it via either Gdebi package manager or command in terminal(Ctrl+Alt+T):
sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/code_*.deb; sudo apt -f install
For those who want to receive updates for VS Code via Software Updater utility, add the Microsoft repository via following steps (64bit only):
1. Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run command to add the repository:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/vscode stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list'
2. Download and install the repository key via commands:
curl https://packages.microsoft.com/keys/microsoft.asc | gpg --dearmor > microsoft.gpg sudo mv microsoft.gpg /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/microsoft.gpg
3. Finally install the IDE via command:
sudo apt-get install code
Uninstall Visual Studio Code:
To remove the code editor, either use Synaptic Package Manager or run command:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove code
And remove the Microsoft repository by launching Software & Updates utility and navigating to Other Software tab.