Vivaldi web browser released the new stable version 2.8 today. Here’s how to install it in Ubuntu 18.04 and higher.
Vivaldi 2.8 features sync support for Android release, and also following changes:
- Add keyboard navigation to bookmark menu bar
- Bookmark manager columns width should be resizable
- Toggle images via keyboard: Ctrl+Alt+Shift+I / ⌥⌘I
- Bookmark menu supports for hovering across horizontal menu or the bookmarks bar
- Various bug-fixes range over bookmark, history, Windows and mac OS platform, and more.
Download / Install Vivaldi in Ubuntu:
The official Ubuntu .DEB packages are available for download at the link below:
[ac-button style=”flat” size=”large” color=”tan” url=”https://vivaldi.com/download/” target=”_blank”]Download Vivaldi (DEB)[/ac-button]
Grab the deb matches your OS, then install it via Ubuntu Software or Gdebi package manager. Or run command in terminal:
sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/vivaldi-stable_2.8*.deb
For those who want to receive future Vivaldi updates via Software Updater utility, the browser has an official apt repository for Ubuntu / Debian based system.
Open terminal either via Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcut or by searching for terminal from application menu. When it opens, run following commands one by one:
1. Download and install the repository keyring:
wget -qO- https://repo.vivaldi.com/archive/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add -
Typer user password when it prompts and hit Enter to continue.
2. Add Vivaldi repository via command:
sudo add-apt-repository 'deb https://repo.vivaldi.com/archive/deb/ stable main'
3. Finally check updates and install the web browser via command:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install vivaldi-stable
Or upgrade from an old version via Software Updater utility.
(Optional): To remove Vivaldi apt repository from you system, launch Software & Updates and navigate to Other Software tab.