Parole, a modern simple media player for XFCE, has reached the 0.9.2 release. Here’s how to install it in Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 17.04 via PPA.
Parole 0.9.2 requires GTK >= 3.20. Ubuntu 16.04 won’t be able to update to this release with the default GTK+3 libraries.
Parole 0.9.2 features:
- Update homepage to docs.xfce.org
- Switch Xfce URLs to HTTPS
- Keyboard shortcuts helper available in the Help menu
- New B/N keybindings for previous and next track
- Fixed null pointer dereference
- Fixed adding directories to queue via commandline
- Fixed shuffle functionality also repeating
- Fixed display order of audio and subtitle tracks
- Fixed “Clear Recent” clearing global history
- Fixed Ctrl-Q keybinding when in fullscreen
- Fixed string escaping in audiobox widget
- Complete the Parole Plugins documentation and improved documentation quality
- translation updates and code quality improvements.
How to Install Parole 0.9.2 in Ubuntu:
For Ubuntu 16.10 and Ubuntu 17.04, do following steps to add PPA and install or upgrade Parole to version 0.9.2:
1. Open terminal via Ctrl+Alt+T or by searching for “Terminal” from app launcher. When it opens, run command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/apps
Type in your password (no visual feedback when typing due to security reason) when it prompts and hit Enter.
2. Then upgrade the media player via Software Updater utility:
or run following commands to install / upgrade it:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install parole
For Ubuntu 16.04 users who’ve updated GTK version (no recommended for beginners), grab the .deb package for Ubuntu 16.10 from HERE.
Run following command to purge the PPA repository which also downgrade installed packages to the stock version in your Ubuntu:
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/apps
I tried to install it on my 17.04. I searched a lot, but no success. The failure is:
‘gstreamer1.0-clutter which is a virtual package and is not provided by any available package’.
May be the computers of the developers and yours contain all dependencies. But when I try to install gstreamer1.0-clutter_2.0.8-1build1_amd64.deb I get other deps needed…
parole-0.9.1 is installable. Any suggestions? Thank you
Thanks for your comment and sorry for the mistake. I’ve rebuilt the package for Ubuntu 17.04 with updated dependency libraries. Just update and re-install Parole 0.9.2 from the PPA to test it out.
Great, Thank you! After the short installation I tested it with the movie ‘Giorgia – Credo’ :-)
Comments are closed.