Last updated on May 27th, 2020
Transmission, Ubuntu’s default BitTorrent Client, released new major 3.00 version a days ago. Here’s how to install it in Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 19.10, Ubuntu 18.04.
Transmission 3.00 features:
- Allow RPC server to listen on IPv6.
- Limit incorrect authentication attempts to prevent brute-force attacks.
- Add Peer ID for Xfplay, PicoTorrent, Free Download Manager, Folx, Baidu Netdisk torrent clients
- Make transmission slightly faster by adding TCP_FASTOPEN support
- Add support for mbedtls and wolfssl, LibreSSL
- Add queue up/down hotkeys
- Improve Qt UI look on hi-dpi displays
- And much more other changes.
How to Install Transmission 3.00 in Ubuntu:
The official Transmission PPA has built the packages for Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 19.10, Ubuntu 18.04.
packages for Ubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu 16.04 are broken at the moment of writing, check the PPA link before getting started.[/ac-box]
1. Open terminal either by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard or by searching for ‘terminal’ from your system application menu. When it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:transmissionbt/ppa
Type user password (no asterisk feedback) and hit Enter to continue.
2. Then launch Software Updater (update manager) and upgrade the torrent client:
How to Restore:
For any reason, you can restore the BitTorrent client to the stock version by running command in terminal:
sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:transmissionbt/ppa