Mozilla Firefox browser has now reached the 50 release, with updated keyboard shortcuts, other new features, various security fixes and more.
According to the release note, Firefox 50 features:
- Updates to keyboard shortcuts
- Set a preference to have Ctrl+Tab cycle through tabs in recently used order
- View a page in Reader Mode by using Ctrl+Alt+R (command+alt+r on Mac)
- Added option to Find in page that allows users to limit search to whole words only
- Increased availability of WebGL to more than 98 percent of users on Windows 7 and newer
- Added download protection for a large number of executable file types on Windows, Mac and Linux
- Improved performance for SDK extensions or extensions using the SDK module loader
- Playback video on more sites without plugins with WebM EME Support for Widevine on Windows and Mac
- Fixed rendering of dashed and dotted borders with rounded corners
- Added a built-in Emoji set for operating systems without native Emoji fonts (Windows 8.0 and lower and Linux)
Download / Install Firefox 50 in Ubuntu:
For the portable non-install version, please go to mozilla.org.
For Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 12.04, and derivatives, Canonical will soon offer the new Firefox 50 updates via the updates/security repository. Check out the build page.
At that time, just launch Software Updater and upgrade Firefox after checking for updates.