Get-iplayer is a command line tool for downloading TV and radio programmes from BBC iPlayer. The tool features:
- Downloads TV and radio programmes from BBC iPlayer
- Allows multiple programmes to be downloaded using a single command
- Indexing of most available iPlayer catch-up programmes (not BBC Three, Red Button or iPlayer Exclusive)
- Caching of index with automatic updating
- Regex search on programme name
- Regex search on programme description and episode title
- Filter search results by channel
- Direct download via programme ID or URL
- PVR capability (may be used with cron or Task Scheduler)
- HTTP proxy support
- Perl 5.10.1+ required, plus LWP, LWP::Protocol::https, XML::LibXML and Mojolicious modules
- Requires ffmpeg for conversion to MP4 and AtomicParsley for metadata tagging
- Runs on Linux/BSD (Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenBSD and others), macOS (10.10+), Windows (7/8/10 – XP/Vista not supported)
It’s quite easy to install the latest get-iplayer 3.10 Snap package via Ubuntu Software:
You can also open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run following command to install the snap:
snap install get-iplayer
For those who prefer traditional .deb package, a PPA repository is available for Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 17.10, and higher.
Usage / examples:
- List all TV programmes with long descriptions:
get_iplayer --long ".*"
- List all radio programmes:
get_iplayer --type=radio ".*"
- List all TV and radio programmes with “doctor who” in the name:
get_iplayer --type tv,radio "doctor who"
- List all BBC One programmes:
get_iplayer --channel="BBC One" ".*"
- List Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra programmes with “Book at Bedtime” in the title:
get_iplayer --type=radio --channel="Radio 4" "Book at Bedtime"
- Record TV programme number 208 (index from search results) in HD, with SD fallback if HD not available:
get_iplayer --get 208
[default is to download best available]
get_iplayer --get 208 --tvmode=best
- Record TV programme number 208 and download subtitles in SubRip (SRT) format:
get_iplayer --get 208 --subtitles
- Record multiple TV programmes (using index numbers from search results):
get_iplayer --get 208 209 210
- Record a TV or radio programme using its iPlayer URL:
- Record a TV or radio programme using the PID (b01sc0wf) from its iPlayer URL: