The second point release for GIMP 2.10 was released a day ago with new features and various bug-fixes.
GIMP 2.10.4 release highlights:
- Add simple horizon straightening option in the Measure tool
- Asynchronous fonts loading to improve startup time.
- Add fonts tagging support.
- Add new features to the Dashboard dockable dialog that help debugging or finetune the use of cache and swap.
- Load PSD file saved with “Maximize Compatibility” option enabled in Photoshop.
- Improved Recursive Transform operation, allow multiple transformations to be applied simultaneously
How to Install GIMP 2.10.4 in Ubuntu:
The best way to install the latest GIMP in Ubuntu is using the otto-kesselgulasch’s PPA, as the PPA maintainer promised the PPA will never die and the most recent packages will for ever be.
The PPA contains the most recent packages for Ubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu 17.10,
though GIMP 2.10.4 is not available at the moment (there are always one or two days delay).
1. Open terminal either via Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcuts, or by searching for ‘Terminal’ from app launcher. When it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp
Type your password (no visual feedback) when it prompts and hit Enter to continue.
2. After added the PPA, you can upgrade to GIMP 2.10.4 once it’s published via Software Updater (Update Manager):
Or run following commands one by one in terminal to install or upgrade GIMP image editor:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install gimp
How to Restore:
For any reason, you can downgrade to the stock version of GIMP by running following command in terminal to purge the PPA:
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp
In addition to Ubuntu 16.04 users who want to install the latest GIMP 2.10.4, run following commands one by one to install the flatpak app:
1. Run commands to install Flatpak framework in Ubuntu 16.04:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexlarsson/flatpak sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install flatpak
2. Install GIMP flatpak application via command:
flatpak install https://flathub.org/repo/appstream/org.gimp.GIMP.flatpakref
Once installed, it will be made available exactly the same way as other applications.