Cantata MPD client 2.3.0 was released a day ago with a large list of changes. Here’s how to install it in Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 17.10, Ubuntu 16.04, and/or Ubuntu 14.04.
Changes in Cantata 2.3.0 include:
- Only disable system tray support if org.kde.StatusNotifierWatcher is not registered when running under Gnome.
- Add ability to change grid cover size – Ctrl+ / Ctrl-
- Avahi support (automatic mpd discovery)
- Add “Add Local Files” to playqueue context menu.
- Add support for Haiku
- Add support for forked-DAAP – thanks to Wolfgang Scherer.
- Reduce memory usage by correctly calculating cost of covers for in-memory cache.
- Use IO::Socket::IP and not IO::Socket::INET in cantata-dynamic to allow usage with IPv6.
- Enable remote (sshfs, samba) device support by default for Linux builds.
- Make track links in context view work with CUE files.
- Support dragging folder of music files onto playqueue.
- Support dragging m3u and m3u8 playlists onto playqueue.
- Add ‘Categorized’ view for albums in library.
- Add settings page to configure API keys.
- Add Suru icon for Ubuntu builds.
And there are various other changes, see HERE for details.
How to Install Cantata 2.3.0 in Ubuntu:
For all current Ubuntu releases, you can install Cantata 2.3.0 via the unofficial PPA.
1. Open terminal either via Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcuts or by searching it from app launcher. When it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/cantata-qt
Input your password (no visual feedback while typing) when it prompts and hit Enter.
2. For those who have a previous release installed, upgrade Cantata via Software Updater:
or install it for the first time via commands:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install cantata mpd
To remove cantata MPD client either use system package manager or run command:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove cantata
To remove the PPA repository, launch “Software & Updates” utility and navigate to Other Software tab.