Audacity audio editor 2.4.2 was released last night with updated wxwidgets library and numerous bug-fixes.
Audacity 2.4.2 release highlights:
- upgrade to wxwidgets 3.1.3
- add ‘Reset Configuration’ menu option.
- a number of bug-fixes.
How to Install Audacity 2.4.2 in Ubuntu:
As the building system has changed, the PPA package (v2.4.1) does not fully work on Ubuntu. So it’s recommended to use Audacity Flatpak.
1.) If you’re first time installing a Flatpak package in Ubuntu, setup your system by running commands in terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T):
- Install flatpak framework via command:
sudo apt install flatpak
- Add Flathub repository via command:
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
2.) Then you can install Audacity flatpak package by running command:
flatpak install flathub org.audacityteam.Audacity
If you’ve previously installed it, run
flatpak update org.audacityteam.Audacity command.
Uninstall Audacity flatpak:
To remove the flatpak package, simply run command in terminal:
flatpak uninstall org.audacityteam.Audacity
I have Audacity 2.1.2 as appimage, a 21MB file, and as a non-essential application located out of the way of my backup procedure. As I could not find a 2.4.2 appimage, I tried your procedure to install it as flatpak. I am so happy I did that in a virtual machine! The flatpak installation of Audacity 2.4.2 takes 2.2GB (yes, gigabyte):
– 1GB for the files of the flathub repository (why do I need a remote repo, if it is copied to my local disk?)
– 1GB for the runtime that Audicity needs, about as much as a minimal virtual machine
– 200MB for the application itself.
Conclusion: no more flatpaks for me.