StepMania 5, an open-source cross-platform rhythm video game, finally goes stable by releasing StepMania 5.0.5 (and the 5.0.6 release for quick fixes).
StepMania is an advanced rhythm game for Windows, Linux and OS X. It’s designed for both home and arcade use. Since StepMania 5 was started in 2011 and be in beta for a long time, the development goes alive recently and the first stable release of StepMania 5 is out!
The new stable release mainly brings:
- New configuration options players should try out
- New (optional) screens that themes can support, new metrics or lua functions, or fixes for existing functions.
- Prominent bug fixes
- Preemptive problem solving.
- For details, see the release note
How to Install StepMania 5 in Ubuntu:
At the moment, there’s no PPA repository that contains the stable release of StepMaina 5 for Ubuntu. I’ll keep this post up-to-date once there’s one available!
But I’ve successfully compile the game in Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit and below is how-to:
(NOTE: below steps should also work in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. But if you’ve installed the updated X stack from 14.10 Utopic while you were upgrading to 14.04.2, there will be unmet dependencies issues)
1. Open terminal from the Dash or by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard. When it opens, run below command to install the required libraries to compile the game.
sudo apt-get install libasound2-dev libpulse-dev libmad0-dev libtheora-dev libvorbis-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dev xorg-dev libxrandr-dev libbz2-dev libglew1.5-dev glew-utils libglew-dev libglewmx-dev libgtk2.0-dev yasm automake
2. Download the Source Code at: stepmania.com/download/
3. Extract the source package either through your file browser or by running below command in terminal:
cd ~/Downloads/ && tar -xzvf v5.0.6.tar.gz
Depends on the downloaded package, you may replace the package name v5.0.6.tar.gz in above command.
4. Navigate to the result folder in terminal:
5. Finally run below commands one by one to compile the game:
./autogen.sh ./configure make sudo make install
Once the game is properly installed, run command /opt/stepmania-5.0/stepmania to start the game. For Songs, Themes, copy them from source package to user’s .stepmania-5.0 folder (press Ctrl+H to view hidden folders).
Or download some more from the forum.