Daily builds of Wayland and Weston are now available in PPA for Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 14.10, and Ubuntu 15.04.
Thanks to Bryce Harrington, a former Canonical developer who continues to be heavily involved in Wayland development, he has created an automatic builds PPA to make it easy to try out the newest Wayland/Weston code on Ubuntu.
To get started, open terminal from the Dash, App launcher, or by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard. When it opens, do below steps:
1. To add the PPA, paste below command in terminal and run:
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:wayland.admin/daily-builds
2. After that, install the package weston and XWayland via Synaptic Package Manager or by running below commands one by one:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install weston xwayland
3. Now you should be able to start Weston within X by running command
weston, which provides a Terminal along with a basic window manager functionality.
If you want you can create & edit weston.ini file via below command:
Change its appearances by adding some settings like this page. Finally the weston window looks like:
4. To running Gnome Shell session on Wayland, run command:
sudo apt-get install gnome-session-wayland
Then log out and select “Gnome on Wayland” in gdm login screen:
If you’re using the default LightDM display manager, you may have to do :
- Install Gnome Shell if don’t have Gnome session:
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
- If you’ve installed Gnome-Shell but still using LightDM, run command to select gdm:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
- Finally restart your computer and you should see the gdm login screen as above picture shows.