The RawTherapee RAW file processor has reached the new stable 5.0 release a few days ago. Now it’s available in PPA for Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 16.10, Linux Mint 18, Elementary OS Loki, and derivatives.
RawTherapee 5 supports most raw formats, including some unusual ones like those from cameras using Foveon and X-Trans sensors. If your camera’s raw format is not supported, read ‘Adding Support for New Raw Formats‘.
New Features in RawTherapee 5:
- Wavelets tool.
- Retinex tool.
- Monitor profile and rendering intent support.
- Print soft-proofing support.
- Automatic chroma noise reduction, manual luminance noise reduction using sliders and curves.
- The “Inspect” tab in the File Browser lets you see a 100% preview of the image whose thumbnail your mouse cursor hovers over, which is either the largest JPEG image embedded in the raw file or the image itself when hovering over non-raw images.
- The curve pipette allows you to pick the right point of a curve by clicking in the preview, and input/output values so that you can set the desired output value for a given input value.
- Post-resize sharpening, to give your photos that subtle crispness after resizing them.
- Dual-illuminant DCP support with curves, base tables, look tables and baseline exposure.
- New exposure tone curve modes “Luminance” and “Perceptual”.
- Queue processing will stop if an error is encountered while saving, e.g. if you run out of disk space.
- The Contrast by Detail Levels tool received the “Process Locate Before/After Black-and-White” option.
- Rec. 2020 ICC profile added.
- The Navigator can show RGB, HSV and L*a*b* values in a range of 0-255, 0-1 or %.
- The Lockable Color Picker allows you to place multiple sample points over the preview to measure colors and see them change in real time as you manipulate the image. They support the same ranges as the Navigator.
- Grayscale JPEG and TIFF images are now supported.
- 32-bit TIFF files are supported.
- In addition to these new features, RawTherapee received over two years worth of amazing speedups, code cleanups and bug fixes, making it faster and more stable than ever before!
How to Install RawTherapee 5 in Ubuntu
1. Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dhor/myway
Type in password (no visual feedback) when it prompts and hit enter.
2. Then install or upgrade RawTherapee either via Synaptic Package Manager or by running the commands below one by one:
sudo apt update sudo apt install rawtherapee
For those who don’t want to add PPA, grab the DEB package from here.
Note: you won’t be able to upgrade the software using Software Updater utility since the PPA build miss data and debug files.
How to Restore:
To uninstall RawTherapee 5.0 and restore to the stock versions in Ubuntu main repositories, run command to install ppa-purge and purge the PPA:
sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:dhor/myway