FFmpeg 4.3 was released a few days ago as the new major release. Here’s how to install it in Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 16.04, and Linux Mint 18.x, 19.x.
What’s new in FFmpeg 4.3:
- Intel QSV-accelerated MJPEG decoding
- Intel QSV-accelerated VP9 decoding
- Support for TrueHD in mp4
- Support AMD AMF encoder on Linux (via Vulkan)
- Vulkan support.
- AV1 encoding support via rav1e, an AV1 Annex B demuxer.
- ZeroMQ support
- VDPAU VP9 decode
- And much more other features, see Changelog file in Github.
How to Install FFmpeg 4.3 via PPA:
The unofficial PPA has built the packages, so far only support for Ubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu 16.04.
1.) Open terminal either by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard, or by searching for ‘terminal’ from your system application menu. When it opens, run command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-4
Type user password (no asterisk feedback) and hit Enter to continue.
2.) Then refresh system package cache and install FFmpeg 4.3 via commands:
sudo apt update sudo apt install ffmpeg
Once installed, check version via
ffmpeg -v command:
To remove the PPA repository as well as downgrade FFmpeg to the stock version, run command:
sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-4