After 13 years of development, the open-source handbrake video transcoder finally reached the 1.0.0 release with many new features, miscellaneous improvements and fixes.
The HandBrake Team announced the 1.0.0 release on Christmas Eve 2016. It features:
- New online documentation at https://handbrake.fr/docs
- Completely overhauled the official presets
- New JSON-based preset system including command line support
- New JSON-based API for interacting with libhb
- Improvements to audio/video sync engine
- VP9 video encoding via libvpx
- Intel QuickSync Video H.265/HEVC encoder
- Ultra HD / 4K color pass through
- Opus audio encoding/decoding via libopus
- Passthru now supports E-AC-3, FLAC, and TrueHD audio formats
- Other improvements and fixes. See here for details.
How to Install HandBrake 1.0.0 in Ubuntu / Linux Mint:
The official PPA repository has made the new release for Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 16.10, Linux Mint 17 and 18.
1. To add the PPA, open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run the following command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases
2. For those who have installed handbrake from Ubuntu’s main repository archive, remove it either via Ubuntu Software Center or using the command:
sudo apt remove handbrake && sudo apt autoremove
3. Finally install the 1.0.0 release via commands:
sudo apt update sudo apt install handbrake-gtk handbrake-cli
For those who have installed a previous gtk build from the handbrake PPA, upgrade it via Software Updater:
How to Uninstall:
To remove the PPA build of Handbrake video transcoder, run command:
sudo apt remove handbrake-gtk handbrake-cli && sudo apt autoremove
And the PPA can be removed via Other Software tab of Software & Updates utility.