Opera web browser released new stable version 57 today with smarter news recommendation engine for start page, usual bug fixes and UI touch-ups.
Opera 57 release highlights:
- An improved AI-driven news-selection algorithm for news recommendation on the start page.
- Add like and dislike buttons on every news article
- Netflix recommendations, which will be switched on in selected countries
- A new styling of the settings page
- Improved the page-opening mechanism to avoid flashbang impressions.
- Close pinned tabs without having to unpin them first.
How to Install Opera 57 in Ubuntu:
The Opera team offers snap package (containerised software package), which is always up-to-date (auto-updates itself). You can simply install it in Ubuntu Software:
Also traditional Opera binary package for Ubuntu is available for download at the link below:
To receive future updates through Software Updater, add the official Opera apt repository via following steps:
1. Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run command to add the opera repository:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://deb.opera.com/opera-stable/ stable non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list'
2. Get the key:
wget -O - http://deb.opera.com/archive.key | sudo apt-key add -
Finally either install Opera via following command or upgrade the browser via Software Updater:
sudo apt update sudo apt install opera-stable
For the Opera snap package, simply remove it from Ubuntu Software.
For the Opera apt repository, launch Software & Updates and navigate to Other Software tab.
To remove traditional opera package, either use your system package manager or run command in terminal:
sudo apt remove --autoremove opera-stable
I saw this article on latest opera version 57
I just tried it and clicking on a magnet link opera only gives option to ignore or open with xdg app? does not have a box where I can enter my bit-torrent app name? I happen to use qbittorrent on Linux mint 18.2 same as Ubuntu 16.04
Any ideas? If cannot fix will go back to Firefox or Chrome where magnet links have NO problems?
I have the same problem. Does not ANYBODY know the answer? How about some of you UBUNTU guys? Or you great OPERA developers who created this dame problem?