Darktable, open-source raw photo development tool, released version 3.6.0 today with exciting new features! Here’s how to install it in Ubuntu via PPA.
No version 3.5.x, Darktable goes directly to 3.6 release series. It introduced new “Import” module for easy multiple import tasks, thumbnail preview. And it is now used for importing from disk, card or camera in the same dialog.
Other changes in Darktable 3.6.0 include:
- A vector-scope to complement the current histogram, waveform and parade views.
- New default demosaic algorithm (RCD)
- Support for “dual demosaic”, allows to combine “RCD + VNG4” and “AMaZE + VNG4” for bayer sensors, “Markesteijn 3-pass + VNG” for xtrans sensors.
- Create opacity mask based on the sharpness of the image.
- New Color Balance RGB module, censorize module, crop module.
- Basic adjustments module replaced with the quick access panel
There are also much more other features, bug-fixes. And Lua API changed to 7.0.0. As well, the release added base support for new cameras including:
- Fujifilm GFX100S (compressed)
- Fujifilm X-E4 (compressed)
- Fujifilm X-S10 (compressed)
- Leica D-Lux 7 (4:3, 1:1, 16:9, 3:2)
- Nikon Z 6_2, Nikon Z 7_2 (14bit-compressed, 14bit-uncompressed, 12bit-compressed, 12bit-uncompressed)
- Panasonic DC-G100 (4:3), DC-G110 (4:3), DC-GF10 (4:3), GF90 (4:3).
- Pentax K-3 Mark III
- Ricoh GR III (dng)
- Sony ILCE-1, ILCE-7SM3, ILCE-QX1
How to Install Darktable 3.6.0 in Ubuntu:
The software offers official
.rpm packages available to download at OBS repository.
For choice, an unofficial PPA is available with the packages for Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 21.04, Linux Mint 20.
1. Open terminal either from system app launcher or by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard. When it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/darktable
Type user password (no asterisk feedback) for sudo prompts and hit Enter to continue.
2. If an old version was installed, upgrade it using Software Updater:
or run commands in terminal to install Darktable:
sudo apt update sudo apt install darktable
To remove the PPA, either launch Software & Updates navigate to Other Software and remove the relevant line:
or run command in terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/darktable
To remove the RAW developer, either use Ubuntu Software or run command in terminal:
sudo apt remove --autoremove darktable
Thanks. The PPA has worked reliably in Linux Mint via the Update Manager since you took it on.
Hello. I’m on Ubuntu 20.04 running Darktable 3.2.1snap1 from the Ubuntu software centre. I really want to update to Darktable 3.6, and so I followed your instructions. But it doesn’t seem to work. I get this, when I run the Darktable command at the prompt and can’t launch:
(darktable:32294): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:28:54.630: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1566:23: ‘font-feature-settings’ is not a valid property name
(darktable:32294): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:28:54.634: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:3618:25: ‘font-feature-settings’ is not a valid property name
(darktable:32294): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:28:54.635: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:4080:23: ‘font-feature-settings’ is not a valid property name
[init] moving database into new XDG directory structure
(darktable:32294): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:28:54.804: Theme parsing error: gtk-dark.css:1555:23: ‘font-feature-settings’ is not a valid property name
(darktable:32294): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:28:54.808: Theme parsing error: gtk-dark.css:3593:25: ‘font-feature-settings’ is not a valid property name
(darktable:32294): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:28:54.809: Theme parsing error: gtk-dark.css:4055:23: ‘font-feature-settings’ is not a valid property name
(darktable:32294): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 10:28:55.846: g_object_set_data: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed
(darktable:32294): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 10:28:55.846: gtk_widget_get_has_tooltip: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)’ failed
Can you help? Thank you so much!
Make a backup of your work, then try removing the Darktable snap package:
Then remove the personal cache via command:
And re-install the software via (or download & install the .deb from OBS repository):
If it still output the error afterwards, then you found a bug! Report it at https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/issues
Thanks. Just updated from 3.0.1 with no issues.
Excellent. Just used this PPA to install darktable 3.6.1 on Kubuntu 21.10
I was unsure how up to date the version on the Ubuntu 21.10 repositories was (3.6.0-0ubuntu1 according to Muon)