Speed Dreams, formerly known as Torcs-NG, is a free and open source 3D racing video game. This tutorial shows you how to install it in Ubuntu 13.10 or Linux Mint 16 Petra
Speed Dreams 2.0 features :
- visually reworked menus by Brian Gavin, Eckhard M. Jäger, Andrew Sumner and Jean-Philippe Meuret,
- 3 amazing fine tuned and balanced new car sets by Andrew Sumner and Haruna Say:Super Cars, 36 GP and LS-GT1,
- an updated TRB1 car set (well balanced, more realistic behaviour),
- 3 exciting new tracks and many visually improved ones,
- smashing liveries for all these cars, by Eckhard M. Jaeger and Haruna Say,
- 2 new TRB first-class robot for the Supercars, 36 GP and TRB1 car sets :USR by Andrew Sumner and Simplix by Wolf-Dieter Beelitz (at last real AI opponents !),
- animated driver by Andrew Sumner on 36GP cars, 3D wheels for all cars by Eric Espie,
- 2 new leader-board modes by Gabor Kmetyko, smoke on spinning tires by Andrew Sumner,
- brand new gauges by Eckhard M. Jaeger, and many many other small visual improvements,
- experimental Simu V3 physics engine by Christos Dimitrakakis,
- many menu improvements (support for grid shifting, optimized track select load time,category filter when selecting driver, more infos in results and standings boards),
and much more …
Install Speed Dreams:
The PPA is not available for Ubuntu 13.10 so far. Here I use the Playdeb repository.
1. Press Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard to open terminal. When it opens run commands below to add the Playdeb repository:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu saucy-getdeb games" >> /etc/apt/sources.list'
2. Get the key:
wget -q -O- http://archive.getdeb.net/getdeb-archive.key | sudo apt-key add -
3. Check for updates and install the game:
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install -y speed-dreams
The installing process will take a few minutes downloading the DEBs.