This simple tutorial is going to show you how to install the latest release of MPD client cantata in Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr via PPA.
Cantata is yet another client for the music player daemon (MPD), which was originally started as a fork of QtMPC, the code is now very different. It can be compiled with KDE support, or as a pure Qt4 application. The interface is very configurable – most views can be shown as either a list or tree structure.
Changes in Cantata 1.3.4:
- Fix adding songs to playqueue with priority when playqueue is not empty.
- When loading covers, if load fails, check to see if this is because of an incorrect extension. e.g. load a .jpg file with PNG type, and vice versa.
- Fix showing of time-slider when Cantata is started minimized to system tray and MPD is playing.
- Remove unused ‘Back’ action.
- Don’t treat albums with artists such as ‘AlbumArtist ft Other’ as multiple artist albums.
- Fix updating of playqueue sidebar tooltip and icon.
- Add playqueue action to main window, so that shortcut works.
- When using track organizer, also try to move artist images, backdrop images, and playlist files.
- After altering filename scheme from track organizer, save settings.
- Don’t set year or disc in tag editor for ‘All Tracks’ unless they are non zero.
- In tag-editor, when obtaining values to use for ‘All Tracks’ entry, don’t ignore empty fields.
- When determining album year, ignore playlist files!
- If MPD database is refreshed whilst listview is not at top level, then reset view to top level.
- When TrackOrganizer is called after TagEditor, only perform MPD update once.
- When editing filename scheme, after inserting a variable set cursor position to after newly inserted text and give focus back to line edit.
Press Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard to open the terminal. When it opens, copy and paste the commands below and run one by one:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/cantata sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install cantata
That’s it. Enjoy!