KUbuntu 17.10 users can now upgrade the Plasma desktop to the latest 5.11.2 release through Kubuntu Backports PPA.
Plasma 5.11 was released a few weeks ago with following new features:
- Revamped System Settings app
- New “Vault” allows to lock and encrypt sets of documents.
- Improvements to notifications,task manager, folder view.
Install Plasma 5.11.2 in KUbuntu 17.10 via PPA:
The second bug-fix release for the Plasma 5.11 is now available in Backports PPA for Ubuntu 17.10.
1. Open terminal via Ctrl+Alt+T or by searching for “Terminal” from app launcher. When it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
Input your password (no visual feedback while typing) when it prompts and hit Enter.
2. Then upgrade your system via your update manager or run command:
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
For other Ubuntu 17.10 flavors that want to install Plasma Desktop 5.11, run following command in terminal to install KDE desktop environment:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
How to Restore:
It can be restored to the stock Plasma Desktop 5.10.5 in Kubuntu 17.10 by purging the PPA via command:
sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports