SMPlayer media player 18.6 was released earlier today. Here’s how to install it via PPA in all current Ubuntu releases.
SMPlayer 18.6 release highlights:
- Updated the library used by the web server for the chromecast feature
- Added option to choose type of the playlist window: dockable (as before) or just a normal window.
- Fix the bug that the key shortcuts for play next/previous cause a “busy” mouse cursor in Windows 10.
How to Install SMPlayer 18.6 in Ubuntu:
For Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 17.10, Ubuntu 18.04, and derivatives, do following steps to install or upgrade SMPlayer via the PPA repository.
1. Search for and launch “terminal” from application launcher. When it opens, run command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rvm/smplayer
Input your password (no visual feedback while typing) when it asks and hit Enter.
2. Then upgrade SMPlayer using Software Updater (or Update Manager):
or run commands in terminal to install (or upgrade) the media player:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install smplayer smtube smplayer-themes
To remove SMPlayer, run command in terminal:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove smplayer smtube smplayer-*
And remove the PPA via “Software & Updates” utility under Other Software tab.