Free and open-source photo management software digiKam 5.4.0 has been released today several improvements to the similarity search engine and a complete re-write of video file support.
What’s new in digiKam 5.4.0:
- Usability improvements to the fuzzy sidebar functionality
- Duplicates search improvement
- Possibility to drag and drop an image into the Fuzzy search without import it.
- Batch Queue Manager can now process only the current queue.
- Fully ported to the QtAV framework to handle video and audio files
- Includes latest libraw 0.18 with a long list of new supported cameras.
- tags, group images improvements.
- and see more in the release note.
Download / Install digiKam 5.4.0 in Ubuntu:
For AppImage (non-install), grab the package from the link below (i386 for 32-bit, x86_64 for 64-bit):
Then make the file executable from its context menu Properties window -> Permissions tab -> check “Allow executing file as program”. Finally click run the .appimage file to launch digiKam.
For traditional .deb packages, an unofficial PPA is available with Ubuntu 16.04, and Ubuntu 16.10 support so far:
1. To add the PPA, open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:philip5/extra
2. Then install or upgrade digiKam 5 via commands:
sudo apt update sudo apt install digikam5
Tip: There may be a small delay for new releases being made into PPA, you may check the above repository link before adding it.