The brackets text editor has reached the 1.10 release recently. Here’s how to install it in all current Ubuntu releases including Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 17.04, Ubuntu 17.10, and their derivatives.
Brackets 1.10 features:
- Supports more than 40 different file encodings. You can Open/Save files with different encodings.
- Search history support
- CSS code hints support @rule and pseudo selector/element code hints.
- Provides CSS code hints in style attribute value in html.
- Forward/Backward navigation in edit history
- Ability to Enable/Disable default extensions
- HTML menus are replaced with native menus in Linux.
How to Install Brackets 1.10 via PPA in Ubuntu:
Although there are official .deb binaries available in the release page, an Ubuntu PPA repository is a good choice to keep the software up-to-date easily via Software Updater utility.
1. Open terminal via Ctrl+Alt+T and run command to add the brackets ppa maintained by webupd8 team.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/brackets
2. Then install the editor via commands:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install brackets
Or upgrade it through Software Updater if you have a previous release installed:
To remove the PPA repository, simply launch Software & Updates utility and navigate to Other Software tab.
To remove the text editor, either use your system package manager or run command in terminal:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove brackets
On the line to install Brackets Code Editor command to install is missing.
Is only sudo apt-get brackets.
I am getting this PPA does not support xenial
Check the PPA link page, it does support Ubuntu 16.04 xenial. You may download the .deb package directly from link below:
Select download the latest 1.10 builds:
Click install it via Software Center, or use command:
sudo dpkg -i brackets_1.10.0libgcrypt11-17483+1~webupd8~0_amd64.deb
dpkg-deb: error: ‘brackets_1.10.0libgcrypt11-17483+1~webupd8~0_amd64.deb’ is not a debian format archive
dpkg: error processing archive brackets_1.10.0libgcrypt11-17483+1~webupd8~0_amd64.deb (–install):
subprocess dpkg-deb –control returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
This is a error i am getting while installing brackets via deb.
let me know what is the mistake?