The latest KDE Plasma desktop 5.14 was finally available to install in (K)Ubuntu 18.10 via the Kubuntu Backports PPA.
KDE Plasma 5.14 was released a week ago. It features:
- New Display Configuration widget for screen management
- Audio Volume widget now has a built in speaker test feature
- Network widget now works for SSH VPN tunnels again.
- The lock screen now handles user-switching for better usability and security.
- Import existing encrypted files from a Plasma Vault.
- The Global menu now supports GTK applications.
- Plasma Discover gained fwupd support.
- Plasma Discover now supports for Snap channels.
- For more details, see the announcement.
Install Plasma 5.14 in (K)Ubuntu 18.10:
Open terminal either via Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcut or by searching for ‘terminal’ from software launcher. When it opens, do:
1. Add Kubuntu Backports PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
Type user password (no asterisks feedback) when it prompts and hit Enter to continue.
2. Install Plasma 5.14 in Kubuntu 18.10:
Either install all system update via Update Manager, or run command in terminal:
sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade
3. For non-Kubuntu user:
Run command to install Plasma desktop:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install plasma-desktop
or install full KDE desktop environment via command:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
You can purge the Kubuntu Backports PPA, which downgrade Plasma desktop to the stock version (5.13.5) in Ubuntu 18.10 repository.
sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports