Rhythmbox is the default music player for Ubuntu Unity and Gnome. It has reached version 3.1 while Ubuntu 14.04/14.10 still provides Rhythmbox 3.0.x.
Rhythmbox 3.1 comes with assorted bug fixes, GTK 3.14+ compatible, and now it includes an AppData file. It’s worth upgrading the player if you have upgraded to Gnome 3.14 or ever encountered below bugs:
- “Edit > Preferences > General > Visibile Columns > BPM” missing mnemonic
- UPNP servers do not get removed after they become unavailable
- SendTo plugin does not work with music files containing apostrophe
- Rhythmbox incorrectly reads the year tag of m4a files
- support libsecret 0.18 (SecretUnstable to Secret API change)
- rhythmbox crashes upon “Jump to Playing Song”
- Song properties dialog “Basic” tab, “Comment” keyboard mnemonic is same as “Composer”
- Notification disappears when I pause my music
- New Radio Paradise URLs
- The latest rhythmbox needs atleast libglib 2.34
- Wording used for importing music in import screen is not clear
- rhythmbox crashes with SIGSEGV due to double free in rb_podcast_parse_channel_free
- rhythmbox / audioscrobbler fails if built from separate build dir
- Inequal sizing and alignment in rhythmbox UI.
- grilo: Do not free GrlRegistry
- rhythmbox-client –stop
- Rhythmbox 3.0.2 crashes if attempting to load pls stream before any other type
- AAC tags are improperly parsed for the “year” field
- daap source compilation failure with ubuntu 14.04
- Rating stars are not vertically aligned in GtkTreeView listing
- Rhythmbox crash when adding songs to a playlist
- Right-clicking on song causes Segmentation fault
- song-info ui files need update
- rhythmbox.appdata.xml.in is in wrong location
How to Upgrade Rhythmbox:
Thanks to fossfreedom, the 3.1 release has been made into PPA, available for Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04 and derivatives.
To add the PPA, press Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard to open terminal. When it opens, run the command below:
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:fossfreedom/rhythmbox
After that, launch Software Updater (or Synaptic Package Manager) and you’ll see Rhythmbox available for upgrade after checking for updates.