Entangle is an open-source software for “tethered shooting”, aka taking photographs with a digital camera completely controlled from the computer.
With a digital SLR camera Entangle allows:
- Trigger the shutter from the computer
- Live preview of scene before shooting
- Automatic download and display of photos as they are shot
- Control of all camera settings from computer
Entangle is available in Ubuntu Software Center out-of-the-box, but Canonical does not provide updates for this software. Since Ubuntu repositories provide the 0.5.4 release for 14.04 LTS, Entangle has reached the 0.6.1 release recently with below changes:
- Require GTK >= 3.4
- Fix check for GIO package in configure
- Add missing icons to Makefile
- Follow freedesktop thumbnail standard storage location
- Refactor capture code to facilitate plugin script automation
- Fix bug causing plugin to be displayed more than once
- Make histogram height larger
- Strip trailing ‘2’ from widget labels to be more friendly
- Completely rewrite control panel display to show a small, user configurable subset from all the camera controls.
- Remember custom list of camera controls per camera model
- Hide compiler warnings from new glib atomic opertaions
- Update to newer gnulib compiler warnings code
- Remove broken double buffering code that’s no required when using GTK3
- Remove use of deprecated GtkMisc APis
- Allow camera picker list to show multiple lines
- Remove crufty broken code from session browser that was breaking with new GTK versions
- Disable libraw auto brightness since it totally overexposes many images, generally making things look worse
- Fix memory leak handling camera events
- Add keywords to desktop & appdata files
Install or Upgrade Entangle:
Entangle 0.6.1 is available in a third-party ppa for Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 14.10 and Linux Mint 17.1.
Open terminal from the Dash or by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T. When it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dhor/myway
Then run below commands one by one to install Entangle. Or you can upgrade it through Software Updater if you’ve an old version installed.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install entangle
For photographers, there are more useful tools available in this PPA.