Cantata, an open source MPD client for Linux (Qt/KDE), reached the new major 2.0 release a few days ago with lots of changes.
Cantata 2.0.0 brings some UI changes, various fixes and improvements, and now it uses Qt5 version as default build.
- Use SQLite to cache MPD listing
- Combine Artists and Albums into Library tab
- Allow grouping by Genre
- Merge Online and Streams into Internet tab
- Merge Playlists and Dynamc Playlists tabs
- Use ‘Composer’ tag to group albums of specified genres
- Use mix of icon themes for flatter icon style – and use mono icons where appropriate
- And more changes in ChangeLog file
How to Install Cantata 2.0.0 in ubuntu:
Since there’s no easy way to install the software, I’ve uploaded both KDE and Qt5 version into PPA, available for Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 15.10, Ubuntu 14.04, and their derivatives.
1. Add PPA.
Open terminal from Unity Dash, App Launcher, or via Ctrl+Alt+T key. When it opens, select paste ONE of below command to add PPA:
For Qt5 version:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/cantata-qt
Type in your password (no visual feedback just type in mind) when it asks and hit enter to continue.
For Kubuntu KDE version:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/cantata
2. After that, either install Cantata 2.0 via Synaptic, or upgrade it through Software Updater, or run below commands in terminal:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install cantata
3. (Optional) Just in case you want to remove this software and downgrade to the stock version available in Ubuntu repositories, install ppa-purge and purge the PPAs via 2 commands:
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/cantata-qt
You may change the PPA name depends on which version you installed.