The open-source video transcoder HandBrake 1.0.7 was released hours ago. It’s official PPA now provides the latest packages for Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty.
By releasing version 1.0.4, 1.0.5, and 1.0.6 within a few hours, the developer finally announced HandBrake 1.0.7 to supersede previous releases.
HandBrake 1.0.7 changelog:
- Fixed decoding of raw video in Matroska/MKV
- Fixed time stamp handling for containerless raw video
- Fixed memory leaks in OpenCL
- Fixed x265 2-pass encoding where video frame rate is altered by filters
- Improved handling of very small amounts of sync jitter (~1 tick)
- Improved handling of AVI files with broken indices
- Audio: Further refined fix for Libav crash encoding AAC at very high bitrates
- Removed fontconfig dependency on Mac and Windows; libass now uses CoreText/DirectWrite
- Improved subtitle font selection when burning in SRT/SSA subtitles
- Command line interface: Fixed preset subtitle burn defaults override
- Build system: Updated MinGW-w64 build script for improved compatibility with hardened GCC
- Fixed video preset control not updating
- Fixed audio passthru masks not updating until preset save
- Fixed application of SRT subtitles offset
- Updated translations: af, cs, ja_JP, ru, sk, sv
- Windows; Fixed When Done option not updating/resetting correctly
How to Install HandBrake via PPA in Ubuntu:
The official HandBrake PPA provides the new 1.0.4 release at the moment for Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 17.04, and derivatives, e.g., Linux Mint 17, 18, and Elementary OS Loki.
1. To add the PPA, open terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T or searching for “Terminal” from start menu. When it opens, run command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases
Type in your password (no visual feedback due to security reason) and hit Enter.
2. Then check updates and install the new release via commands:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install handbrake-gtk handbrake-cli
If you have a previous released installed, you may also upgrade it using Software Updater:
How to Remove:
The PPA repository can be removed or disabled by launching Software & Updates utility and navigate to Other Software tab. And handbrake can be removed via command:
sudo apt-get remove handbrake-gtk handbrake-cli && sudo apt-get autoremove