Visual studio code reached the 1.17 release a day ago with Mac OS touch bar support, and some performance improvements.
VS Code 1.17 features:
- Mac OS Touch Bar actions for navigation and debugging.
- Folding now supports region markers.
- Terminal rendering is up to 45 times faster with new canvas-based rendering engine
- Automatically show module and path import suggestions while coding
- Debug Console messages show source location (optionally)
- Built-in Dark+ and Light+ themes now highlight regular expression components
- new SOURCE CONTROL PROVIDERS section to view changes in multiple source control repositories.
See the video about VS Code 1.17:
How to Install VS Code 1.17 in Ubuntu:
The official .deb package for Debian/Ubuntu is available for download at the link below:
Then install it via either Gdebi package manager or command (Ctrl+Alt+T):
sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/code_*.deb; sudo apt -f install
For those who want to receive updates for VS Code via Software Updater utility, add the Microsoft repository via following steps (64bit only):
1. Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run command to add the repository:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/vscode stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list'
2. Download and install the repository key via commands:
curl https://packages.microsoft.com/keys/microsoft.asc | gpg --dearmor > microsoft.gpg sudo mv microsoft.gpg /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/microsoft.gpg
Uninstall Visual Studio Code:
To remove the code editor, either use Synaptic Package Manager or run command:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove code
And remove the Microsoft repository by launching Software & Updates utility and navigating to Other Software tab.