The popular network packet analyzer Wireshark released version 2.6.5 yesterday afternoon with numerous bug-fixes.
Following vulnerabilities, bugs has been fixed in Wireshark 2.6.5:
- The Wireshark dissection engine could crash.
- The DCOM dissector could crash.
- The LBMPDM dissector could crash.
- The MMSE dissector could go into an infinite loop.
- The IxVeriWave file parser could crash.
- The PVFS dissector could crash.
- The ZigBee ZCL dissector could crash.
- VoIP Calls dialog doesn’t include RTP stream when preparing a filter.
- Closing Enabled Protocols dialog crashes wireshark.
- Unable to Export Objects → HTTP after sorting columns.
- DNS Response to NS query shows as malformed packet.
- Encrypted Alerts corresponds to a wrong selection in the packet bytes pane.
- ESP will not decode since 2.6.2 – works fine in 2.4.6 or 2.4.8.
- Wireshark tries to decode EAP-SIM Pseudonym Identity.
- Infinite read loop when extcap exits with error and error message.
- OPC UA Max nesting depth exceeded for valid packet.
- TShark 2.6 does not print GeoIP information.
- ISUP (ANSI) packets malformed in WS versions later than 2.4.8.
- Handover candidate enquire message not decoded.
- TShark piping output in a cmd or PowerShell prompt stops working when GeoIP is enabled.
- ICMPv6 with routing header incorrectly placed.
- IEEE 802.11 Vendor Specific fixed fields display as malformed packets.
- text2pcap -4 and -6 option should require -i as well.
- text2pcap direction sensitivity does not affect dummy ethernet addresses.
- MLE security suite display incorrect.
- Message for incorrect IPv4 option lengths is incorrect.
- TACACS+ dissector does not properly reassemble large accounting messages.
- NLRI of S-PMSI A-D BGP route not being displayed.
Install Wireshark 2.6.5 in Ubuntu:
Balint Reczey maintains the Wireshark packages for Ubuntu. The new 2.6.5 package will be published in Ubuntu universe repository.
Make sure the security and updates repositories are enabled in Software & Updates -> Updates.
Once the new release package is published, you’ll receive Wireshark updates through Software Updater.