Pencil2D is an open-source application to make 2D hand-drawn animations in Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
- open source and free to use even commercially!
- layers support (separated layer for bitmap, vector and soud part)
- bitmap drawing, vector drawing, and sound support
- For more, go to Pencil2D website.
How to Install the Latest Pencil2D in Ubuntu
While Ubuntu universe repositories only provide an old version, the latest Pencil2D flatpak package is available to install via following steps:
1. Open terminal either via Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcut or by searching for ‘terminal’ from application menu.
When terminal opens, run command to install flatpak daemon:
sudo apt install flatpak
Type user password (no asterisk feedback) when it prompts and hit Enter.
2. Add flathub repository via command:
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
3. Finally you’re able to install Pencil2D from the flathub repository via command:
flatpak install flathub org.pencil2d.Pencil2D
Once installed, open the tool from your system application menu and enjoy!
(Optional) To remove the Pencil2d flatpak package, simply open terminal and run command:
flatpak uninstall org.pencil2d.Pencil2D