Opera web browser released new stable 58 a day ago. The new release features warning dialog before closing window with multiple tabs, and Yandex Zen integration for Russian users.
Changes in Opera 58 include:
- Display a comfirm dialog when closing window with multiple tabs.
- Integrate news recommendation service Yandex Zen for Russian users.
- Add an option in settings for “Always open SD”
- Enable Chromium toast notifier in Opera
- Provide feedback popup for users clicking like and dislike icons
- Review Compatibility Mode
- Numerous bug-fixes and improvements.
How to Install Opera 57 in Ubuntu:
The Opera team offers snap package (containerised software package), which is always up-to-date (auto-updates itself). You can simply install it in Ubuntu Software:
Also traditional Opera binary package for Ubuntu is available for download at the link below:
To receive future updates through Software Updater, add the official Opera apt repository via following steps:
1. Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run command to add the opera repository:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://deb.opera.com/opera-stable/ stable non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list'
2. Get the key:
wget -O - http://deb.opera.com/archive.key | sudo apt-key add -
Finally either install Opera via following command or upgrade the browser via Software Updater:
sudo apt update sudo apt install opera-stable
For the Opera snap package, simply remove it from Ubuntu Software.
For the Opera apt repository, launch Software & Updates and navigate to Other Software tab.
To remove traditional opera package, either use your system package manager or run command in terminal:
sudo apt remove --autoremove opera-stable