Cinnamon desktop environment has reached the new massive 3.4 release a few days ago. Though there’s
no official announcement published on Linux Mint blog at the moment of writing, you can now install it in Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 17.04 via PPA.
Cinnamon 3.4.0 brings over 160 changes, and here are some of them:
- The settings daemon is split into multiple processes. Make it easy to identify excessive CPU or memory usage and isolating crashes to only affect a particular plugin.
- Nemo is split into two separate processes. One for the desktop icons, and one for the file manager windows.
- Added “Run now” button in the settings’ module for managing startup applications
- Support for configuring the LightDM login manager in Cinnamon Settings.
- New Cinnamon Settings option for configuration acceleration and sensitivity of the mouse.
- Cinnamon is now capable of adapting to the multi-process CSD.
See the full changelog for details.
How to Install Cinnamon 3.4 via PPA in Ubuntu:
The unofficial PPA has just build the Cinnamon 3.4 packages for Ubuntu 16.04, and Ubuntu 17.04.
1. Open terminal via Ctrl+Alt+T or by searching for “Terminal” from start menu. When it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:embrosyn/cinnamon
Type in your password (no visual feedback due to security reason) and hit Enter.
2. Then update and install Cinnamon desktop via commands:
sudo apt update sudo apt install cinnamon
After that, log out and select log in back with Cinnamon session.
So, I updated to 3.4 from 3.2. I am running Ubuntu and now icons show up on my Desktop without any names, just the icons. How do I fix this?
I just installed it; on 17.04 Ubuntu. First, run of cinnamon, I have no desktop background and no icons on the desktop. The menu works fine though.
Yup, exactly the same thing here, can’t find anything on google about it, really frustrating, if you find a solution please let me know & I’ll do the same.
Found the solution. Go to the fonts tool. For some reason the ‘Desktop font’ is set to none & size zero. Set this to Sans Regular 9 or whatever, desktop icons text returns.
Thank you! I installed cinnamon on Ubuntu 16.04 and I too had no text in the icons. Google does not seem to find any relevant results except this page