XFE (X File Explorer) is a lightweight Windows File Explorer or Commander like file manager for Unix / Linux X.
It’s small memory footprint, very fast, and only requires the FOX library to be fully functional, and aims to light desktop users.
XFE features include:
- UTF-8 support
- Commander/Explorer interface with four UI modes
- Horizontal or vertical file panels stacking
- Integrated text editor (xfwrite), image viewer (xfimage)
- Integrated RPM or DEB packages installer / uninstaller (xfpack).<.li>
- Custom shell scripts (like Nautilus scripts)
- Search files and directories
- Disk usage command
- Mount/Unmount devices (for Linux only)
- Color, control, and icon themes (GNOME, KDE, Windows, …)
- Create and extract archives (tar, compress, zip, gzip, bzip2, xz, lzh, rar, ace, arj and 7zip formats are supported)
- File comparison (through external tool)
- Thumbnails image previews
- Configurable key bindings
To install XFE in Ubuntu, simply open
terminal and run command:
sudo apt install xfe
Once installed open the file manager from your system application launcher and enjoy!
(Optional) To remove XFE, run command in terminal:
sudo apt remove --autoremove xfe