SuperTuxKart is a Free 3D kart racing game with many tracks and characters. The latest SuperTuxKart 0.8.1 RC1 has been released and here are the new features and how to install it in Ubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.04, Ubuntu 12.04 and Linux Mint.
What’s New in SuperTuxKart 0.8.1 RC1:
- A new track called the “STK Enterprise” has been added;
- The tracks “The Old Mines,” “Lighthouse,” and “Zen Garden” have been updated;
- A new Soccer mode has been added;
- A new Egg Hunt mode has been added;
- Two new karts, Xue and Sara, have been implemented.
Download & Install SuperTuxKart 0.8.1:
1. Download the package from sourceforge page. Choose to download:
supertuxkart-0.8.1-rc1-linux-glibc2.7-i386.tar.bz2 for 32 bit system and supertuxkart-0.8.1-rc1-linux-glibc2.11-x86-64.tar.bz2 for 64 bit system
2. Uncompress the packages in Nautilus file browser by right-clicking on the package and select ‘Extract Here’.
3. Rename the result folder name to SuperTuxKart. You can move this folder to /opt/ for global use.
4. Press Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard to open terminal. When it opens, run commands below one by one to create a launcher for SuperTuxKart:
sudo apt-get install gnome-panel --no-install-recommends sudo gnome-desktop-item-edit /usr/share/applications/ --create-new
in pop up window, type:
- Name: SuperTuxKart-portable
/home/YOURUSERNAME/Downloads/SuperTuxKart/bin/supertuxkart### The path to extracted folder executabe file
- Icon: choose from /home/YOURUSERNAME/Downloads/SuperTuxKart/data/ folder.
Once done, you can launcher the game from Unity Dash.