Corebird, native Linux twitter desktop app, has reached the 1.5 release a day ago. Here’s how to install it in Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 17.04, Linux Mint 18.
Corebird 1.5 brings tons of bug-fixes and various improvements:
- Add “save as” option in right-click menu to download attached media.
- Profiles use the profile background color set in the Twitter settings if no banner is set
- The tweet compose window now features a “favorite image” view that allows users to save often sent images and quickly add them to tweets
- The media dialog now shows Previous/Next buttons to quickly switch between multiple media attachments.
- The Vine support has been removed since the project is discontinued
- Allow text selection in Direct Messages
- New –account parameter allows opening the window for the given account only
- Support tweets with up to 50 replied-to users.
- Add back verified icons next to user avatars
- Redesigned account creation UI
How to Install Corebird 1.5 in Ubuntu / Linux Mint:
Besides building from the source, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 17.04 and derivatives can install Corebird 1.5 from the unofficial PPA.
1. Open terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T or searching for “Terminal” from start menu. When it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/corebird
Type in your password (no visual feedback due to security reason) when prompts and hit Enter.
2. If you have a previous release installed on your system, launch Software Updater and upgrade Corebird after checking for updates:
Or run the commands in terminal to check updates and install corebird:
sudo apt update sudo apt install corebird
To remove the PPA, go to System Settings -> Software & Updates -> Other Software tab.
To remove Corebird twitter app, either use your system package management software or run command:
sudo apt remove corebird && sudo apt autoremove
If you installed Corebird 1.5 in Ubuntu 16.04, remove Gnome3 Staging PPA if everything works, or remove Corebird and downgrade GTK+3 libraries via command:
sudo apt remove corebird && sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3-staging