Want to monitor Ubuntu system resources usage momentarily? There’s a gnome extension allows to display CPU usage, Memory usage, network speed, disk, GPU, and battery informations in Ubuntu 18.04 Gnome status bar.
The system monitor extension features:
- Display informations for CPU, GPU, Memory, Swap, Net, Disk, Fan, Battery
- Display resource usage in panel via digit or graph
- A drop-down menu with detailed information.
- Ability to set gragh width, background color, refresh time.
- Show tooltips.
1. To install the extension, first open terminal either via Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcut or by searching for ‘terminal’ from application menu.
When it opens, run command to install the necessary system libraries:
sudo apt-get install gir1.2-gtop-2.0 gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0 gir1.2-clutter-1.0
Type user password (no asterisk feedback due to security reason) when it prompts and hit Enter.
2. Open Ubuntu Software and then search for ‘system monitor extension’.
There are a few similar extensions available. In the case, I installed the last one.
3. You’ll see the indicator applet once you installed the extension. Click to show drop-down menu, then go to Preferences and change the applet appearance.