Stellarium released version 0.19.0 today. Here’s how to install it in Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 18.10, and higher.
Stellarium 0.19.0 features 5 new sky cultures, many new DSO textures, code refactoring, and many other changes including:
- Add new type of computation for AstroCalc/Phenomena tool
- Add GUI options to change constellations and asterisms font size
- Add Chinese medieval sky culture.
- Add DSO textures
- Add scripting graphics tool
- Add classifications support for sky cultures
- Add support 2 southern deep sky catalogues
- Add armintxe, paleolithic sky culture and landscape
- Add Maya constellations
- Add 2 Babylonian skycultures
How to Install Stellarium 0.19.0 in Ubuntu:
1. Open terminal either via Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcut or by searching ‘terminal’ from app launcher. When it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stellarium/stellarium-releases
Type user password (no asterisk feedback while typing) when it prompts and hit Enter.
2. Then upgrade Stellarium from an existing release with Software Updater utility:
Or run following commands to install the software for the first time:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install stellarium
To remove the software, either use your system package manager or run command:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove stellarium
And remove the PPA via “Software & Updates” utility under Other Software tab.