The latest Nvidia Driver for Linux 331.49 has been released on February 18. This tutorial will show you how to install the new driver in Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 13.10 and Ubuntu 12.04.
Nvidia 331.49 is a small release which brings a few bug fixes and 2 GPUs support. See the changelog:
- Added support for the following GPUs:
- GeForce GT 710
- GeForce 825M
- Fixed a regression that prevented nvidia-installer from cleaning up directories created as part of the driver installation.
- Added a new X configuration option “InbandStereoSignaling” to enable/disable DisplayPort in-band stereo signaling. See “Appendix B. X Config Options” in the README for more information.
- Fixed a bug that caused PBO downloads of cube map faces to retrieve incorrect data.
- Fixed a bug in nvidia-installer that resulted in spurious error messages when opting out of installing the NVIDIA kernel module or source files for the kernel module.
- Added experimental support for ARGB GLX visuals when Xinerama and Composite are enabled at the same time on X.Org xserver 1.15.
Install Nvidia 331.49:
1. Press Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard to open the terminal. When it opens, uninstall the previous driver by running the below commands:
sudo apt-get purge nvidia* sudo apt-get install nvidia-319-updates-dev
2. Restart your computer. Go to Software & Updates -> Additional drivers and switch to recommended Nouveau.
3. Download the driver from the official links below. You may check your OS type (32-bit or 64-bit) by System Settings -> Details
4. Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to command console and login.
5. Stop the graphic session with the appropriate command below:
sudo service lightdm stop ## For the default LightDM sudo service gdm stop ## For the Gnome GDM sudo service mdm stop ## For the Linux Mint default MDM
6. Now give execute permission and start the installer, and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-*-331.49.run && sudo sh ~/Downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-*-331.49.run
Tips: You may keep the installer file so that you can remove this driver via below command if for some reason this driver does not work properly:
sudo sh ~/Downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-*-331.49.run --uninstall